Before d'Artagnan was commissioned
- Treville: I am sending you three to do this, no one else.
- Athos: All right. I'll get d'Artagnan
- Treville: No I said.....
- Porthos: Come on d'Art, mission time
- Treville: But I just said you go alone!
- Aramis: Either we take our pet Gascon or we don't go.
Fencing is like a language. Just like someone trying to listen to a rapid conversation in a foreign tongue, only occasionally can a non-fencer or casual spectator recognize how the individual actions of the fencers are related to one another. And just as, once we grasp the meaning of a sentence, we tend to forget its precise words, so, for the spectator whose eye has registered that a touch has scored, the movements preceding the hit proper tend to dissolve into each other; losing their individual importance. It must be borne in mind, however, that the hit itself is neither more nor less than the period, ending a sentence that has both content and style. The essence and content of fencing are to be found in the stages prior to the hit. These progressive stages shape the bout. Two opponents try to convince one another of their superior knowledge, skill, physical ability and will-power, seeking to display that superiority within the framework of the rules and in language and form that, for expert observers, is both intelligible and convincing.
If fencing as a whole is viewed from this angle, the individual elements making up an action are like words. These words can only result in continuous and fluent expression if the competitor is not only familar with the sense and nuance of meaning associated with each of them, but also capable of linking them grammatically. Furthermore, he must find a form that enables him to sustain continuous conversation on a high level when so required. He must be able to use the elements to argue, find a solution to problems, and deliver a riposte to views raised by others. It is the fencer with the more compelling arguments that will leave the piste with his debate won.
Vass, Imre. Épée Fencing: A Complete System. Staten Island, NY: SKA Swordplay, 1998. 240. Print. (via strongoftheblade)
And I am SO reminded of the Cavendish Art of Fencing:
Iff keepe the plane, the line that is the Center,
Fight thus butt once none more with yoou will venter,
As Independente thus your Arte & Scill,
Nott fowlowe himm butt hee forste to your will,
You have the power, the time, the plase, the strength,
Still hits him Gratis & your Sorde the Length,
Ande iff hee dares butt stande soone
Endes the strife, bloud drawinge still no
Endinge off his Life.”
Whenever Aramis gets too drunk he has a bad habit of starting to sing songs in the corner. (When he’s really drunk they’re all in Spanish) Porthos will roll his eyes but grin and memorize every word and inflection of Aramis’ voice before he goes to drag Aramis away.
He is in fact memorising it all so he can reproduce it much more loudly when Aramis has a hangover the next morning…(and because he secretly thinks it’s sort of adorable)
- D'Artagnan: Please captain, I need to skip work for two weeks so I can go on a super secret mission. I can't say why but the queen and I can't say where but London.
- Treville: Oh my god. Do you even listen to yourself. You cannot go on your own, you will DIE. Take the other three idiots with you and just. Go.
what if tattoos just randomly appeared on our skin at key points in our lives and we had to figure out what they meant for ourselves
Or what if we just couldn’t remember getting them?
What is the network about??
This is a network for the fans of the new BBC series The Musketeers. It seems that this is quite a small fandom on Tumblr so I thought it would be cool to set up a network so we can all talk about the first series and what could happen in the second.
How do I join??
- You must be a fan of the show
- It would be cool if you had a few posts from/about the show
- Must be following me
- Reblog this, no likes!
- Track themusketeersnet for updates
- I’ll pick the members sometime in March, how many members there are depends on how many people reblog this
- Have to be comfortable with giving me their email
- Need to submit a 100x100 icon and short description
- Get help with edits/promos
- Gain lots of friends and hopefully followers
Reblogging in case any of you are interested in this. :)